The minimum requirements for minors to volunteer with Queens Public Library include:
- Must be at least 14 years old to apply. New York State Labor Law restricts anyone under the age of fourteen from volunteering.
- Must obtain parental consent from a legal parent or guardian. (Download parental consent form here).
- Must possess a valid New York State Employment Certificate ("working papers") issued by the Department of Education and received through your current high school. (Download Employment Certificate application here).
Not eligible for working papers? Queens Public Library may opt to waive the working paper requirement for minors with international, immigrant or out-of-state status. Instead, applicants may be asked for an alternative form of student verification. However, all minors are still required to obtain parental/guardian consent to volunteer with Queens Library.
Specific projects may also require additional requirements to volunteer. Applicants should review the project description to read all requirements. Additional Requirements may include:
- Specific Age Requirements
- Minimum grade point average
- Cover letter and resume